All you need to know about UPSC IES(ESE) Examination :- A major part of Government jobs aspirants belong to the Engineering section/stream and with their engineering degrees, they compete with aspirants of other fields/streams. Many of engineering aspirants wish to join the engineering departments in the Government of India, providing they have an Engineering degree, aspirants want to really use that knowledge and information for betterment of engineering services of the country. These departments have positions of Class -1 officers (top tier) to be filled. So here we will discuss about the engineering services exam and how to get into Engineering Services of India?
IES Exam : Complete UPSC IES Exam Guide For New Aspirants :-
What is IES Exam (Indian Engineering Services) :-
Union Public Service Commission or UPSC conducts Engineering Services examination (ESE) as IES Exam every year to recruit the best candidates for the Engineering services of Government of India.This include the recruitment on the vacancies of Class-1 engineering officers in Electrical, Electronics, Telecommunication and Mechanical engineering streams in the various departments of the Government of India.
The designated Class-1 officers are appointed to the public sectors like Rails/Roads, Transport, Power and Energy, Telecommunication departments etc. The IES Examination is considered the most reputed exam in the section of Engineering and related services of India. Last year, over 40,000 engineering candidates fought tooth and nail, to secure one place among 400 elites of engineering services of India.
IES Full Form :-
IES Full Form is Indian Engineering Services that is sometimes called UPSC IES. It is one of the top most Exam any Indian Engineering Students wants to fight for in a life time of his career.
Important Dates for IES Examination :-
Important dates to consider while applying for UPSC IES are:-
|Application Process starts||26 September 2018|
|Last dates of submission||22 October 2018|
|Payment of Application Fees||22 October 2018|
|Admit Card IES Prelims Exam||Mid December 2018|
|Examination date (UPSC IES Pre)||06 January 2019|
|Result(IES Pre Exam) declaration||Month of May 2019 (tentative)|
|Admit Card for IES Mains Exam||Two weeks before examination, May 2019|
|Examination date(UPSC IES Mains)||Month of June 2019|
|Result(IES Mains) declaration||Month of July 2019 (tentative)|
|Personal interview||Month of November 2019|
Candidates are advised that dates can be altered by the UPSC as per requirements and will be updated with the official notifications.
How to Apply For IES Exam :-
To apply for the UPSC IES examination, candidates are required to register and fill an application form online which can be found on the official website www.upsc.gov.in. After successful submission of the application form, the admit cards for eligible candidates are issued. The admit cards for the UPSC CAPF can be downloaded from the Official website of UPSC i.e. www.upsc.gov.in
After qualifying the preliminary examination of IES, candidates are required to take Mains exam in order to get in the interviews, resulting selection of Engineering Officer in Indian Engineering Services. Total number of vacancies in UPSC IES can be altered as per requirement. This year, candidates competed for a total of 440 positions. Defined below is the eligibility requirement for the candidates wishing to apply for UPSC IES (ESE) Examination 2018.
Eligibility for UPSC IES Examination :-
Candidates fulfilling the following requirements are eligible to apply for UPSC IES Examination:-
The candidates must be Indian citizens or certified by Indian Government ( in case of applicants of Nepal, Bhutan and Tibetan origin who came with intention of residing in India permanently). Also people of Indian origin, who have migrated from other countries to settle permanently in India and certified by Indian Government, are also eligible to apply.
IES Exam Age Limit Criteria and Eligibility :-
- Candidates with minimum age of 21 years and not exceeding the age of 30 years as on January 1st, 2018 are eligible to apply.
- Relaxation up to 5 years in the maximum age is provided to the Government servants and candidates of reserved categories (SC/ST – 5 years) and (OBC – 3 years), as per rule.
- Relaxation up to 10 years in the maximum age limit is provided to blind, deaf or mute or physically handicapped candidates.
IES Exam Educational Qualification For Aspirants of UPSC :-
- Candidates who have an Engineering degree in any stream or are in the final year of completion of their engineering degree program from a Government recognized University in India.
- Candidates holding an M.Sc degree in Radio Engineering and Radio Physics, Wireless communication, Electronics are also eligible to apply.
- Candidates having degrees from foreign/international universities in country other than India (states and union territories), are eligible to apply only if the degree is recognized by the Government of India and can be scrutinized time to time.
IES Exam Eligibility in Physical Standards of Aspirant :-
There is a detailed physical standard eligibility for the UPSC IES, which can be found in the Appendix – II of the Official Notification of UPSC IES. Download official notification for better information from official website of UPSC.
Application Fee for the IES (ESE) Examination :-
There is a fee of Rs. 200/-(Two hundred rupees only), required to be paid by candidates of General/OBC category before the mentioned deadline in the official notification of UPSC IES (ESE) examination 2018 (tentatively first week of November).
The payment can be made online by debit/credit card or internet banking or it can be done by depositing the money/pay-in slips in any Branch of SBI by Cash. There is exemption in fee for the female candidates, candidates of SC/ST category and physically handicapped candidates.
Be advised, the fees once deposited/paid shall not be returned or refunded to any applicant under any circumstances.
IES Exam Patter for Paper 1 and Paper 2 :-
The UPSC IES examination is conducted in two fold methods, Prelims and the Main examination. The Prelims consists of the two papers with a total of 500 marks. First paper will be common to all candidates while second paper is stream specific. The prelims exam is explained below:
IES Preliminary Examination Pattern :-
|Paper- I||Objective||General Studies and Engineering aptitude||200||2 hours|
|Paper – II||Objective||Engineering Discipline||300||3 hours|
IES Mains Examination Pattern :-
|Paper- I||Conventional||Engineering Discipline- I||300||3 hours|
|Paper – II||Conventional||Engineering Discipline- II||300||3 hours|
IES Exam Syllabus for New Aspirants :-
Prelims Stage – Paper I:-
General Studies and Engineering Aptitude:
- Current affairs related to National and International significance in social and political system.
- Logical reasoning and Analytical approach.
- Engineering Mathematics and Numerical Analysis
- General Drawing and principles, significance of Safety
- Practices in Construction, Manufacturing, Production and maintenance.
- Environmental specs and Energy conservation.
- Material sciences and engineering information.
- Tools used in ICT (Information and Communication technology) along with applications of use.
- Ethics and principles in engineering career.
Prelims Stage – Paper II & Mains Stage Paper I and II
The discipline paper will be different for category and stream chosen. But The subjects and topics for each engineering discipline will remain same for the respective stream candidates. Candidates will have to face the similar questions in the respective stream in engineering discipline. The syllabus defining topics, from which questions will be asked, is explained below with the means of table:-
|Mechanical Engineering||Electronics & Telecommunication Engineering||Electrical Engineering||Civil Engineering|
· Fluid Mechanics
· Thermodynamics & Heat Transfer
· IC Engines, Air Conditioning, Refrigeration
· Renewable Sources of Energy Power Plant Engineering
· Power plant engineering
· Electronics Engineering basics
· Electrical engineering basics
· Material Science and Engineering
· Electronics Instruments and Measurements
· Network Theory
· Analog and Digital Circuits
· Electrical Materials
· Basic Electronics Engineering
· Engineering Mathematics
· Electrical and Electronics Measurements
· Circuits and Fields
· -Fundamentals of Computer
· Building Materials
· Design of Steel Structure
· Structural Analysis
· Solid Mechanics
· Construction Practice & Management
· Concrete Design
· Masonry Structures
·Mechanism & Machines
· Engineering Mechanics
·Design of Machines Elements
·Manufacturing, Maintenance, Industrial Engineering
·Mechatronics and Robotics
· Analog and Digital Communication System
· Control Systems
· Advanced Communication Topics
· Computer Architecture and Organisation
· Advanced Electronics Topics
· Systems and Signal Processing
· Analog and Digital Electronics
· Electrical Machines
· Control System
· Power Electronics and Devices
· Power System
· Fluid Mechanics, Hydraulics Machines, Power
· Water Resource Engineering and Hydrology
· Foundation Engineering
· Geotechnical Engineering
· Environmental Engineering
· Surveying & Geology
· Transportation Engineering
Selection Process for UPSC IES Examination :-
After qualifying the IES Prelims exam, candidates will be issued admit cards for the IES Mains examination which will consists of conventional topics and relevant questions. Based on the scores of Mains, candidates qualifying mains will then be called for an Interview.
Candidates qualifying the Prelims will be issued with admit cards for the Mains examination. Those candidates who qualify the Mains examination will have to go through the Stage III for the selection i.e. Personality test or Interview. The interview or PT will be the complete assessment of compatibility, capability, critical thinking, usefulness and intelligence of the ESE Mains qualified candidates.